Are you interested in being a go-to legal research expert trusted by professionals around the world?
Reference Attorneys play an important role in the global support of Thomson Reuters’ products, with a primary focus on Westlaw, the world’s leading provider of information to the legal community. If you excel at legal research, digging for answers, finding creative solutions to difficult issues and partnering with professionals, you may have what it takes to succeed as a Reference Attorney.
Every day brings a new challenge as Reference Attorneys research relevant and cutting-edge issues. We are expert legal researchers and use our knowledge of and experience with the law to help our customers find the answers they need. Reference Attorneys take pride in their research and problem-solving abilities and work hard to educate our customers on how to get the most out of Thomson Reuters’ products.
Reference Attorneys work in a fast-paced, high-volume environment that continuously evolves to meet the demands of our customers while maintaining an industry-leading level of service. Our customers include top law firms, government agencies, and global corporations. We also partner closely with our sales and account management, editorial, and product development teams to connect our customers’ needs with our business objectives.
Reference Attorney shifts offer flexibility that makes it easy to strike a work/life balance. Because we work with customers in real-time, Reference Attorneys never have to take work home. All Reference Attorneys are based at the Thomson Reuters Minnesota office in the Twin Cities metro area. The location offers an excellent quality of life, access to great education, and a vibrant arts scene.
About the Role
In this opportunity as a Reference Attorney, you will:
- Partner with customers in real-time, discuss their legal research projects, and craft research solutions tailored to their needs
- Educate customers on research strategy, content offerings, and product functionality
- Communicate clearly and effectively with end users, colleagues, and management to quickly resolve issues and ensure customer satisfaction
You’re a fit for the role of Reference Attorney if you:
- J.D. from U.S. accredited law school and bar admission from any state
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Computer and online systems proficiency with ability to multitask while supporting customers via phone, live chat, and email
- Open to feedback and working closely with management and training staff for continuous growth and development
- 1 – 2 years of prior legal experience preferred but not required
- Prior customer service experience is helpful, but the key to success is the ability to:
- Take ownership of difficult issues with confidence and definitive solutions
- Proactively take initiative to seek creative solutions while balancing business interests
- Be expressive, genuine, and friendly while working in a customer-facing role
What’s in it For You
At Thomson Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Compensation: Base salary, plus yearly bonus dependent upon your performance
- Learning & Development: On-the-job coaching & learning, leadership capability development, Harvard Management courses, key talent programs, tuition reimbursement
- Benefits: Flexibility, Comprehensive health coverage with benefits that are effective day one
- Perks: Social events & activities, generous vacation package plus 2 paid volunteer workdays a year
The Reference Attorney position is a great entry point to Thomson Reuters and offers long-term career options. Reference Attorney managers actively support their team members’ career aspirations within in the department and throughout the company. Reference Attorneys have successfully made career transitions to multiple areas within Thomson Reuters, including Sales & Account Management, Training & Education Development, Legal Product & Editorial, Marketing, and Findlaw. Successful completion of initial training and demonstrated competence of reference attorney expectations is required for movement within department. Thomson Reuters requires one-year service commitment before being eligible to post to other departments.