DEPUTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY I (County Court Prosecutor)
11th Judicial District – Fremont, Chaffee, Park, and Custer Counties
ANNUAL SALARY: — $70,000 to $80,000 DOE, plus benefits and retirement.
PART TIME work (20 to 30 hours per week) may be considered, without benefits or retirement — $35.00 per hour.
LAW SCHOOL GRADUATES who qualify under the Student Practice Act are encouraged to apply.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Eleventh Judicial District has two openings for an entry-level Deputy District Attorney I.
DESCRIPTION: Practices professional entry-level criminal law, representing the People of the State of Colorado in criminal prosecution of misdemeanor, traffic, and petty offenses in the County Courts of the Eleventh Judicial District (Fremont, Chaffee, Park, and Custer Counties)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following essential job functions and examples of duties are illustrative only and are not intended to be all inclusive; positions assigned to this class may not perform all of the duties listed
· Attend all arraignments, pretrial conferences, hearings, and sentencing conferences in County Court.
· Prepare for all hearings and trials before the County Court.
· Ensure office compliance with discovery obligations and the Colorado Victim’s Rights Amendment.
· Timely and professional communication with law enforcement, witnesses, and victims of crimes, including preparation of witnesses for hearings and trials.
· Communicate professionally and timely with public defenders and defense attorneys and to formulate plea offers with guidance from the District Attorney.
· Ability to use computers and databases.
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents.
· Cover other court appearances for coworkers as necessary.
· Assist Senior Deputy District Attorneys with felony trials.
· Occasional night or weekend work may be required.
Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
Licensed to practice law in the State of Colorado.
Valid Colorado driver’s license.
General knowledge of the principles and practice of criminal law and rules of evidence.
This is an FLSA EXEMPT position.
Work is generally confined to a courtroom or office environment and is mostly sedentary. Minimal lifting may be required on occasion.
Successful candidates may be assigned to work in the Canon City office, the Salida office, or the Fairplay office. Travel between offices may be required on occasion.
The Eleventh Judicial District Attorney’s Office is committed to maintaining a healthy work / life balance and a family friendly workplace. Enjoy fun and healthy mountain living while performing meaningful work for the People of the State of Colorado!
The Eleventh Judicial District Attorney’s Office is an equal opportunity employer.