This position is established as part of the National Labor Relations Board Honors Program. The Honors Program supports positions working in three different program areas. Program areas covered are: Board, General Counsel- Headquarters, and General Counsel-Field. This position is specifically for the General Counsel Headquarters program area.
The purpose of this position is to provide an experience that exposes the employee to the full range of agency legal practices.
As a Law Clerk (Trainee), GS-0904-11, typical work assignments in the General Counsel Headquarters may include:
- Drafting district court and appellate briefs – with direct supervision;
- Drafting memoranda recommending whether to issue complaint in complex cases – with direct supervision;
- Assisting attorneys with investigations, preparing for trials and trials involving all aspects of civil and criminal contempt proceedings of court judgments and litigation in aid of enforcement of judgment – with direct supervision;
- Drafting various motions and other pleadings and participates in settlement and mediation sessions – with direct supervision; and
- Performing in-depth legal research to uncover applicable Court and Board decisions and/or any prior determinations
- of the General Counsel, as well as pertinent adjudications of other Federal and State administrative agencies – with direct supervision.
The Ideal Candidate for the GS-0904-11, Law Clerk (Trainee) General Counsel Headquarters position will have a strong academic law school record. Course study relevant to industrial, labor law and/or labor relations or similar courses in employment are preferred. The candidate should have excellent oral and written communication skills.