Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) is seeking a part-time, temporary law clerk at its Minneapolis office as part of the Detention Project. This position was created to support case work for individuals in ICE custody in Minnesota, specifically Hennepin County residents. The Detention Project Law Clerk will assist legal staff in conducting intake and providing case assistance to clients in ICE custody and clients who have been released from ICE custody with future immigration court dates.
This position is funded through the end of 2021. Ideal candidates would be available between 10 and 20 hours per week, with a final schedule to be determined by the supervisor and law clerk. This position can be done entirely remote. This position will start as soon as possible after an offer is extended.
- Apply the principles of Legal Aid’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
- Conduct initial screenings with clients
- Preparing pro se materials for detained individuals
- Assist in gathering evidence (ex. requesting criminal, medical, employment, or other records)
- Assist in drafting application forms and affidavits
- Conduct country conditions research
- Prepare exhibits and other court filings
- Conduct legal research
- Assist in drafting exam questions, motions, and briefs
- Assist in preparing requests for prosecutorial discretion
- Assist in drafting habeas petitions
- Enrolled in an accredited law school
- Fluency in written and spoken English required
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to social justice
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required
- Prior experience in immigration matters preferred
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred
- Language experience, especially in Spanish, Somali, Hmong, or Karen, preferred
COMPENSATION: $15.00 per hour
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter, and job-related references online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by September 26th, 2021, or until position is filled
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at email@example.com.
Please direct all other inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.