Colorado Legal Services (CLS) is a nonprofit providing free civil legal services to low-income, senior, and otherwise vulnerable individuals throughout the state. CLS’ offices in Greeley and Denver are hiring attorneys to provide advice and representation to people at risk of eviction. These positions are currently funded for one year. CLS may seek funding to continue the positions for additional years.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Client interviews, investigation and preparation of legal documents and papers;
- Provide advice and aggressive representation of clients in accordance with program priorities, including negotiations, trial and appellate work in state and federal courts;
- Participate in complex and major litigation and other special projects within a local office or program wide, such as litigation involving legal issues affecting numbers of low-income clients, drafting of legislation or regulations, lobbying or administrative rule-making in accordance with Legal Services Corporation;
- Assume an active caseload and handle approximately 200+ cases per year;
- Participate in office or program wide projects to prove training and/or community education or other information to agencies, advocates, clients, or community groups about legal services and about legal issues and rights of interest to low-income persons;
- Develop relationships with the community served and the leaders of that community.
Must be licensed to practice law in Colorado (or qualify for admission to the Colorado Bar by Motion). Ideal candidates have a proven commitment to public interest and experience working with vulnerable populations. Housing law experience, bilingual fluency (Spanish/English), and Microsoft Office proficiency preferred.
Send a cover letter and resume including contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Greeley Housing Attorney” or “Denver Housing Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.