Remote Part-Time Law Clerk
The Chaffee County Attorney’s Office in Salida, Colorado is accepting applications for a remote part-time law clerk (up to 15 hours a week). The position involves supporting the Chaffee County Attorney’s Office by assembling and organizing information for legal documents, researching law, reviewing and summarizing documents and preparing legal opinion/memorandums. The Chaffee County Attorney’s Office represents all county departments and elected officials on a variety of civil issues. Hours are flexible but applicant must be available to discuss work related issues/projects over phone, email or online meeting platform during regular business hours, Monday—Friday.
$25.00 an hour, up to 15 hours a week, contract work.
· Researches applicable statutes, rulings, case law and precedents as they pertain to a case.
· Prepares legal opinions, legal memorandums and other publications that require a formal understanding of legal practices and procedures.
· Assist in the preparation of draft complaints, affidavits, motions, interrogatories and other pleadings connected with trial preparation and/or discovery.
· Summarizes and analyses document, cases, highlighting the legal and factual issues in dispute.
· Assist with preparing department specific reports for stakeholders.
· Explains procedures to parties involved with a hearing to ensure compliance with standards.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and successful completion of one year at an accredited law school.
Knowledge and Skills.
· Skill in conducting legal research, including the use of Lexis, Westlaw, CD-ROM services, Internet services and library materials.
· Knowledge of federal and state trial procedures, discovery procedures and rules of evidence sufficient to be able to provide technical, legal, and civil investigation support for attorneys during trial preparation and at trial.
· Knowledge of legal research techniques and civil investigation procedures sufficient to be able to determine relevant information, locate reference material, compile and analyze appropriate information, formulate logical recommendations, and provide support for attorneys.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and arms to perform repetitive motions; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
This is a fully remote position for an applicant based in Colorado. Applicant must provide their own electronic equipment for remote based work, such as computer, phone, email, access to online meeting platform and internet connection.
Applications and full job description are available from the Chaffee County Human Resources
Office in the County Administration Building at 104 Crestone Ave., Salida or on the Chaffee
County website (www.chaffeecounty.org/Finance-and-HR-Employment-Opportunities). Along
with the County application, interested persons should submit a letter of interest, resume and the
names of three professional references and writing sample to:
Jennifer A. Davis, County Attorney
Chaffee County Attorney’s Office
104 Crestone Ave.
Salida, Colorado 81201
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Equal Opportunity Employer: Chaffee County considers applicants for all positions without
regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, the presence of a
medical condition or disability, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender
identity, marital status, genetic information or any other legally protected status.