EXTERNSHIP IN HEALTH LAW
The American Health Law Association (www.americanhealthlaw.org) is the nation’s largest, nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) educational organization devoted to legal issues in the health care field. AHLA’s mission is to provide a collegial forum for interaction and information exchange to 1) enable its members to serve their clients more effectively; 2) produce the highest quality non-partisan educational programs, products, and services concerning health law issues; and 3) serve as a public resource on selected health care legal issues. AHLA provides resources to address the issues facing its active members who practice in law firms, government, in-house settings and academia and who represent the entire spectrum of the health industry: physicians, hospitals and health systems, health maintenance organizations, health insurers, life sciences, managed care companies, nursing facilities, home care providers, and consumers.
AHLA is looking for an energetic, hardworking, and disciplined 3L student-extern for the 2021 fall semester. Please note: At the time of this posting (April 2021), AHLA is aware of the many uncertainties that law schools and law students face regarding the upcoming spring semester due to COVID-19. AHLA will be flexible in terms of what the ABA and individual law schools allow regarding remote/long-distance externships.
· Applicant’s academic, extracurricular, and/or community accomplishments must clearly demonstrate a long-standing and compelling interest in pursuing a career in health law.
· Some formal education or experience in health law is preferred.
· Excellent writing, editing, research, and analytical skills required.
· Student must be starting his/her 3L year at an ABA-accredited law school when the externship starts in September 2021.
DURATION OF EXTERNSHIP:
2021 Fall Semester or Quarter (depending on whether your law school operates on a semester or quarter basis). This externship is for academic credit only. No monetary stipend is provided per ABA requirements. Hours are negotiable, but total number of hours worked must meet your law school’s requirements regarding externships. Please check with your law school’s externship program director for details and requirements.
· Work under the supervision of AHLA’s staff attorneys in the Publishing department, primary responsibilities being legal research/writing and editing to support AHLA publications and related activities.
· As schedule permits, the extern will have the opportunity to network with AHLA members and attend AHLA conferences (in-person local conferences or virtual conferences).
· Anticipated start and end dates are negotiable.
Tuesday, June 1, 2021. To apply for this externship, please address your formal cover letter and resume to Katherine Miller, Senior Legal Editor and email them to her at email@example.com. Please state in the subject line of your email “2021 Fall Externship.” Finalists will be contacted to schedule an interview.
CDO # 24915