If you are interested in working on issues of social justice, consider applying to the Racial, Social and Economic Justice Externship Program for Spring 2017. This program brings together students, lawyers, and a range of organizations and agencies that specifically address issues of racial, social, and economic justice within different practice settings and across different issues areas. Students will be placed in a specialized 1 credit seminar examining questions of social justice advocacy taught by Prof. Alexi Freeman.
- Government agencies: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; US Dept. of Education: Office for Civil Rights; and US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development: Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.
- Nonprofit organizations: ACLU of Colorado, Civil Rights Education and Enforcement Center, Native American Rights Fund, and the Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network.
- Firms focused on anti-discrimination: Killmer Lane and Newman; Lowrey Parady, LLC; Rathod Mohamedbhai LLC; Sweeney & Bechtold LLC; and The Hans Meyer Law Firm.
- Applications are due to email@example.com by Friday, October 21, 2016. They will then be forwarded to the relevant placements.
- An application should include: resume, cover letter, list of 2 references, and writing sample. You should write 1 general cover letter to the RSEJ program, not individual letters. Please include all documents if possible in 1 pdf.
- In your cover email to Alexi Freeman, please include the names of the 3 placements you are interested in. Please also include whether you are open to being considered for any other placements outside of those top 3 and indicate which.
- Applications will then be sent on to employers and we have asked that decisions be made by employers by November 16, 2016. We imagine that most employers will contact you to set up an interview before then.
Please see the attached document for more details on participating organizations and more. Contact Alexi Freeman, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
We look forward to working with you!
Director of Externships & Public Interest Initiatives
Associate Professor of the Practice
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
2255 E. Evans Ave., Room 365M
Denver, CO 80208