The Private Sector Networking Night is a great opportunity for students to meet and mingle with alumni and friends of the law school working in the private sector. The employers attending the event are as follows:
Arrow Electronics, Inc.
Burg Simpson Eldredge Hersh Jardine PC
ET Investments, LLC
Faegre Baker Daniels
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Holland & Hart
Jackson Kelly PLLC
Kelly & Walker LLC
Lewis Bess Williams & Weese PC
Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP
Otten Johnson Robinson Neff + Ragonetti, P.C.
Rathod Mohamedbhai LLC
Robinson & Henry, PC
Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.
WellBiz Brands, Inc.
Westmoreland Coal Company
Wheeler Trigg O’Donnell
To ensure you network successfully, we have 10 tips:
1) Dress for Success – Business attire (suits) required. NO jeans, khakis, t-shirts, sweatshirts, tennis shoes, spaghetti strap or “revealing” tops or dresses.
2) Bring Business Cards, if you have them, to hand out to employers you meet.
3) Bring a friendly smile, a confident handshake, and a positive/energetic attitude!
4) Go up and introduce yourself to people and start conversations with them.
5) Keep moving around the room; don’t just speak to one person.
6) Listen to each person’s questions and answers and follow up on anything interesting. Have a dialogue, not a monologue.
7) Show sincerity and interest in what the other person is saying. Ask questions such as: “How do you like working for X?”, “How did you get involved in practice area X?” “What types of cases are you working on now?”
8) Don’t drink or eat too much – don’t just hang out by the buffet.
9) Get business cards from people you speak with and be sure to follow up with a thank you note or email. Make sure it’s short, sincere, personal, and “perfect” –no typos!
10) Be on your best “Host Behavior” – The alumni and friends of the law school are guests in OUR law school, let’s make them feel welcome!
Remember you must have RSVP’d to attend this event. If you are unable to make it after RSVP’ing, please let us know. Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday February 4!